Humidity can be an issue in your home, especially if you live in a humid climate. Rising temperatures have led to an increase in the humidity in already humid climates. If there is too much humidity in your home, you can end up with health problems and with problems that can make your home unsafe and uncomfortable to be in. Here’s a quick look at the most common humidity problems that homeowners face and how to avoid them:
Mold is one of the worst things that can happen to homeowners. There are many ways that mold can get into your home and once it gets inside and starts to grow, it can be time consuming and expensive to get rid of it.
If your home has mold you will need to get a mold remediation specialist to come in and safely remove it. If your home has high humidity that creates the perfect conditions for mold to grow and once it starts, mold can grow and spread very quickly.
Keeping your home’s humidity low is the best way to prevent the growth and spread of mold. If you live in a humid climate, the best way to lower the humidity inside your home is to use a dehumidifier. You may not need to run a dehumidifier in the entire home.
If you have high humidity in one part of the home, like in the basement or the attic, you can run a dehumidifier just in those parts of the home. If you notice that the humidity is high throughout your home, you should consider having a whole house dehumidifier installed to keep the humidity down in the entire house.
You should also make sure that you run an exhaust fan whenever you shower or take a bath because hot humid air, like the air in the bathroom after a shower or during a bath, creates the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. Running the exhaust fan will help remove the warm and moist air that contributes to the growth of mildew and mold.
You should also open the bathroom window occasionally and let out some of that hot and humid air. Cleaning the bathroom regularly with a bleach based cleaner can kill mold and mildew.
You might have mold and mildew in the house even if you don’t see it. Some of the most common symptoms of mold exposure that you and your family might experience if you have mold in your home include symptoms like:
If you or your family members have these symptoms, you should get your home checked for mold and get a professional remediation team to come in and remove the mold if there is any. Then you can dehumidify the home and keep it mold free to eliminate those symptoms.
Another problem that often occurs when homes have high humidity is that pests move in and plan to stay for awhile. There are some very common and annoying household pests like dust mites, roaches, and beetles that look for warm and humid environments because that’s where they thrive.
Some of them also eat mold and mildew which means if you have a humid home that is prone to mold or mildew because of that high humidity those pests are going to want to stay in your home. They will move in and breed and can cause massive infestations within your home that require professional intervention to get rid of. Having pests in the home can also make you, your family and your pets sick.
The best way to avoid pest infestations due to humidity is to make sure that the home is as dry as possible. This can be tough when you live in a climate with hot and humid summers but use a dehumidifier in your home and also make sure that you have good air flow in the home to prevent the humidity from getting too high. Ceiling fans are great for promoting good airflow in the home.
You can also use standing fans in the corners of rooms to push the air around. If you have central air conditioning use it because that will cool the home by sucking the moisture out of the air and making the home dryer.
Having humidity that is higher than about 50% in your home can also damage your home and your possessions. Electronics don’t function well in a hot and humid environment if your home is too moist you may find yourself having to replace expensive electronics like tablets, computers, and TVs frequently because they will stop working if they exposed to high humidity for a long time. Circuit boards and other electronic components will be damaged by moist air and can even be a fire hazard in some situations.
Other damage can occur to your actual home when the humidity in your home is too high. If you think about it, many parts of your home are made from wood and what happens to wood that is exposed to high humidity and water? That’s right, it warps. It also cracks, splits and becomes weak. Plaster can loosen and fall. Baseboards and floorboards can warp and bend. There are many ways that being exposed to constant high humidity can damage your home in serious ways.
Humidity can also damage your furniture that is upholstered and make it prone to mold or attractive to pests. If you notice that your laundry rarely dries the first time that you dry it or that clothes stay damp even after they come out of the dryer, you probably have a home that has high humidity.
Your home can be damaged when there’s high humidity inside, but not having enough humidity can also be a problem. Low humidity can also cause major health problems including allergy attacks and allergy flare ups. If you live in a home that gets very dry during the summer, a great way to add some moisture to the air is to buy some houseplants.
Houseplants create oxygen and add moisture to the air. You can also use a cool mist humidifier or wash some clothes and hang them up to dry in a dry room. As the clothing dries, that moisture will be released into the air. Pots and vases filled with water and left around the home can also make it seem less dry.
If your windows have been damaged due to humidity and moisture, you may want to consider having them replaced. Getting your windows replaced will increase the look and energy efficiency of your home. We offer a wide variety of styles and options to meet any needs and budget. Get started on your window replacement and get a free quote today!